About Me (and my blog)

Hello! My name is Claire. I'm a 19 year-old Shakespeare nerd in her second year of college. This blog is intended to assist any budding Shakespeare lover (or those of you who have to read Shakespeare in class and just want to get it over with) in understanding the more difficult aspects of his works. This blog will summarize plays--by act and scene--in modern terms, helping you to better understand what exactly is happening on that stage.
I'm not a professional translator by any means, but I sincerely hope that my blog helps with all your Hamlet and Othello woes. Good night and good morrow, everyone!

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

"Our Sometime Sister, Now Our Queen" (Hamlet - Act 1 / Scene 2, Claudius Speech #1)

Salutations, my fellow humans! To kick off the next scene of Hamlet, we're going to look at speeches by individual characters.

First off, Claudius' first speech in Act 1 / Scene 2.


Characters in Shakespeare tragedies often give very long, rambling speeches that can be hard to understand. Claudius is one of these characters, and he often begins talking and doesn't stop for several long and confusing minutes.

Claudius kicks off the beginning of Act 1 / Scene 2 with a speech announcing his grief for the death of his brother, his marriage to the queen, and news of political affairs with Norway. To clarify, Claudius gives a speech because he is directing his words to a present audience. A monologue is a speech a character makes to themselves or to space when they are alone.

You can find a script of Hamlet online by searching for it, so I will not be displaying the original text of the speech in this post to save space. I will attempt to go line by line or point by point, so I suggest using my analysis as a guide to reading the speech itself. This speech is the first appearance of Claudius in the play and the very beginning of Act 1 / Scene 2.

P.S. In this speech, Claudius says "we" a lot, but he mostly means "I" instead, as the speech is about himself.

Analysis:

Though the memories of my elder dead brother are fresh in my mind
And the kingdom and I are rightfully grieving,
Life must go on.
I believe I should mourn him while also
Thinking of my own well-being.
Therefore, I've married my former sister-in-law,
The queen,
With happiness and sadness.
I know that by marrying her,
I am following the advise that all of you gave to me.
Thank you for your support.
And so we move onto business.
Whiny Prince Fortinbras thinks I am some weak sauce
Because Dead Bro Hamlet is dead.
He thinks our state is disjointed and that THAT
Makes him hot stuff.
He keeps whining to me that he wants the lands
(That his father lawfully lost to my dead bro, mind you)
Back in his possession.
I say-
So much for him.
And I'm going to tattle on him to his uncle
With this letter
That I'm holding
And that I'm going to send to Norway.
Uncle King of Nor-o-way will hear of WPF's temper tantrum
And put him in time out.
So, you two- Cornelius and the guy whose name looks like Voldemort,
Take this letter quickly,
And don't die on the way.


Claudius is a bit of an attention hog. That speech may seem short and insignificant, but it gives the reader important information about why Hamlet hates his uncle, as he mentions later on in the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment