About Me (and my blog)

Hello! My name is Claire. I'm a 19 year-old Shakespeare nerd in her second year of college. This blog is intended to assist any budding Shakespeare lover (or those of you who have to read Shakespeare in class and just want to get it over with) in understanding the more difficult aspects of his works. This blog will summarize plays--by act and scene--in modern terms, helping you to better understand what exactly is happening on that stage.
I'm not a professional translator by any means, but I sincerely hope that my blog helps with all your Hamlet and Othello woes. Good night and good morrow, everyone!

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Hamlet - Act 1 / Scene 3 SUMMARY

It's time for Act 1 / Scene 3! Hooray. This scene is short and sweet. It focuses mainly on Ophelia, Laertes, and their father. We are introduced to Ophelia, and we get to see how she interacts with her brother and father.

3 Sentence Summary: Laertes is leaving for France. He says goodbye to Ophelia and tells her not to trust Hamlet's promises of love. Polonius enters, sends L'art on his way, and quickly tells Lady O the same warnings as her brother, going so far as to forbid her to see Hamlet again.


This scene is pretty easy to understand, if you know the basics of what the three characters are discussing. So, to open, we have L'art and Lady O.

L: YO, I'm leaving. Don't forget to talk to me. 
O: Did you really think I would forget?
L: Well, you're a little distracted by your boyfriend. Speaking of which, don't trust what he says. This relationship is not permanent. It makes a sweet moment, but nothing more.
O: ... Uh-Huh.
L: IF I MUST RANT AT YOU NOT TO TRUST HIM FOR AN ENTIRE PAGE I WILL DO IT IF IT GETS MY POINT ACROSS

And L'art does just that. He warns Ophelia that Hamlet's affections are not true and even if they were, Hamlet is a servant to the state of Denmark. His feelings will only ever extend as far as the state allows of him. (To read my analysis of this speech, click here.)

Polonius enters shortly after.

L: Oh. Hey, Dad.
P: LARTIMAS WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? YOU NEED TO GET ON YOUR SHIP TO FRANCE. GO, GO, GO! TAKE A LARGE AMOUNT OF CONFLICTING LIFE ADVICE AND LEAVE.

To read a further analysis of Polo Shirt's horrible life advice, click here.


L'art leaves.

P: What did you and your brother talk about?
O: Hamlet.
P: You mean that boy that's been giving you way too much attention? You give him too much of your time. What's going on between you and this boy?!
O: You mean the PRINCE OF DENMARK, Dad? Anyway, he gives me a lot of letters than say he loves me.
P: Loves you! Ha, don't make me laugh. You don't really believe him, do you?
O: (secretly offended) I don't know.
P: You innocent child. This is not true love, you fool.
O: Daddy, he's been nothing but nice-
P: HE IS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF MY DAUGHTER. HOW DARE HE HURT MY PRECIOUS BABY. OPHELIA, I FORBID YOU TALK TO HIM ANYMORE. YOU ARE MORE HONORABLE THAN THAT. YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN A PRINCE.
O: Um, okay?

And that's the end. To read my analysis of Polonius' last speech, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment